Heading comments.

Just a few little reviews here and there to save you from watching something horrible, or making sure you get in on some of the cinematic epiphanies of our generation (and also because David and Margaret don't always get it right)...

Sunday, 4 September 2011

Battle: Los Angeles


Synopsis: Another Earth apocalypse film to fill the time between... well.. the next Earth apocalypse film.

Review: After a bit of a hiatus from review films I'm back on the horse with my reviews and what a way to start the year. I wish I could say that Battle: Los Angeles is the penultimate alien invasion movie, but alas, I cannot. This movie barely passes for a time killer and I can think of a few better ways to spend 116 minutes (including watching that "I'm beached bro" video on YouTube sixty times over). Set in modern day USA the story covers the movements of a US Marine Corps troop who are sent into the extra-terrestraial besieged Los Angeles as part of earths defence against a H2O hungry alien force. The main protagonist is Staff Sergeant Michael Nantz who is played by Aaron Eckhart, who I normally like but in this case am questioning whether he, and his agent have recently had a stroke prior to script selection. Staff Sergeant Nantz leads his marine troop, under his young, officer grad lieutenant into battle against the invading aliens. The poor use of last minute 'shock' jolts, predictable aircraft shoot-downs and terribly cheesy dialogue don't do this flick any favours, and unfortunately for Aaron, no amount of bum-chinnedness was going to save this film from plummeting to the bottom of the sci-fi movie rating list, barely above Battlefield Earth. On the upside the CGI wasn't bad although that barely seems to be an excuse these days when you compare it to blockbusters like Avatar and District 9.

Score: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment